Wednesday

Social story?

Yesterday at Little Man's O.T. session, his therapist approached me about the idea of making him a "Social Story". Of course, I had never heard of a social story, so she had to explain (a lot).

Here's a good article about SOCIAL STORIES

Basically, a social story is a short, precise story that you write up for your child, depending on what their issues are. For example, with Little Man, one of his biggest issues is going out in public, especially out to eat. He hates the noise, the lights, the commotion, etc. It just overloads his poor little brain and he melts down. He almost always pinches and punches whoever is nearest to him (usually me) and screams and has tantrums the whole time -- totally not pleasant.

So with the Social Story, she suggested I make a book to read to him right before going out in public, so I can reinforce the things he's *supposed* to do. Like sitting still, not punching/pinching, eating his dinner nicely, etc. I'm having a VERY hard time with this. I'm usually very creative - I used to write children's stories for my older boys all the time, but I'm not good with "Short" and "Precise".

The one thing I do know I want to do is take pictures of Little Man out at a restaurant, sitting down, a picture of other people sitting nice, etc. The O.T. said this will help him reinforce the ideas in his brain....

So I'll be working on it over the next couple days, and I hope it'll be a success! I'll post how it turned out, and the directions on how to make one, if anyone is interested.

2 comments:

Bloggymommy said...

Sounds like a good idea! Can't wait to hear how it turns out!

justme said...

our OT has used these and taught us about them. they seemed to help for a bit, but then i slide and forget to use. they do help though.