Sunday

Michelle's Intro

My name is Michelle, and I am the 29 year old mother of 4 children, ages 13, 11, 4, and 2. For a little while, I had noticed that my 2 year old son had some issues that my other children never seemed to exhibit when they were that age. He always hated being dressed, and would take off his clothes or diapers, or complain about the tags in his clothes.. He didn't like to touch certain toys if they had a bumpy texture, and didn't like things like play dough, or anything with an overly soft texture. He just had a hard time with ANYTHING involving texture, senses, etc. He would get really overwhelmed in public places and just have a complete and total meltdown, and it would take him a few days until his body completely calmed down enough. I just knew something wasn't right.

At his 2 year old check up, his pediatrician suggested contacting Early Intervention in our state. I was so scared, because I had no idea what to expect. I had done some research on Sensory Processing Disorder, but just couldn't find a lot of information, and wasn't sure if my son had it or not.

The day of our evaluation came, and halfway through, the evaluator pulled me aside and said "He clearly has Sensory Processing Disorder. We'll do everything we can to help both of you work through this"

And that began our journey into Sensory Processing Disorder. It hasn't always been easy, and it hasn't always been pretty. It's been a journey of discovering new information, new resources, and new friends.

I was SO happy to meet Stefanie and to find out that we both have a child who has SPD. What are the chances?! We've helped each other through hard times with our children, and have listened to each other vent about the frustrations that SPD brings. We hope to be here to listen to you vent as well!

We hope you will find this to be a place where you can come for information, support, or place a place to come where you know you're not alone. I know sometimes when dealing with this, it feels like you're the ONLY one out there that has to go through this, but I promise -- there are others out there, and we're all in this together!

0 comments: